Burnley’s open market is set to close four days a week from the end of next month.
Last week traders were given five weeks’ notice to move their stalls out of the open market.
Council bosses have offered the four stallholders a reduced rent inside the adjacent market hall for three months but, after Christmas, one trader said she may be forced to give up her business because she cannot afford the higher rate on the covered market.
The weekly bric-a-brac market, which takes place on a Wednesday, will continue to run and the public toilets located there will stay open.
Mrs Susan Exton, who has owned Susan’s Cards for the last 16 years, said she will move her stall inside the market hall until Christmas but said she is uncertain of its future.
Oct 15, 2018 0Last week, Birmingham officially launched one of the largest wholesale markets in the United Kingdom.
Sep 24, 2018 0
Sep 17, 2018 0