November 27, 2011, Bedfordshire on Sunday, BY ADAM THOMPSON
A victorian fair that caused traffic chaos throughout Bedford is set to return next month.
Last year organisers were left embarrassed as hapless traders set up stalls the wrong way forcing shoppers onto narrow pavements despite Bedford’s temporary ‘pedestrianised’ High Street remaining completely empty.
At the time stall owners claimed they were told to leave the road empty to allow access for emergency services as motorists battled through the traffic jams following diversions.
Mayor of Bedford Borough, Dave Hodgson later admitted that the market had been put up the wrong way by facing stalls toward shop fronts but it was too late to change it when the gaffe was noticed. For this year’s event, which runs from December 9-11, the authority said it will be changing the layout of the market to avoid last year’s fiasco. In addition drivers have been hit with more bad news with cars prohibited from turning right on St Cuthberts Street from St Peter’s Street.
Read the full article HERE
Category: Market News