The Government has been accused of “staggering complacency” by not releasing its formal response to Mary Portas’s review of the high street until the spring.
Ms Portas, the TV presenter and retail expert, released her long-awaited report into the future of the UK’s high streets last month. It in, she said that years of neglect had pushed the UK’s shopping streets to a “crisis point”.
At the time of the report’s release, the Government said that it would respond to her 28-point plan to reinvigorate town centres in the spring.
However Simon Danczuk, the Labour MP for Rochdale, has written to Grant Shapps, the Local Government Minister who will oversee the Coalition’s response, urging him to bring its release date forward.
Mr Danczuk said that “urgent action” is needed to support the high street, which is reeling from the economic downturn and the recent collapse of chains such as La Senza, Barratts and D2 Jeans.
In the letter he said: “In light of this worrying picture and the concerns raised by the British Retail Consortium for the sector in 2012, I hope you will review your timetable and take action immediately in order to help inject some confidence into the high street and give retailers clarity of policy direction.”
Continue Reading. . . .
Aug 17, 2018 0Street Feast food market concept gains added scale with new opening
Aug 15, 2018 0London’s New Covent Garden Market (NCGM) is pushing on with its bold venture to turn the historic wholesale market into the capital’s dominant food hub, as well as an incubator for up-and-coming food makers, creators and thinkers from the UK and beyond.